Crusaders Down Rhode Island 9-4 Wednesday Night
|Left On Base||11||6|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross baseball team notched four runs in the fourth inning to help lead the Crusaders past Rhode Island on Wednesday night.
Eight different Crusaders crossed the plate in the win, with junior Alex Gionis being the only player with two runs scored. Sophomores Austin Masel and Colton Hector each earned a pair of RBIs, while four others drove in runs for Holy Cross (12-13). Sophomore Alex Volpi led the Crusaders with a trio of hits. Austin White led the offense for Rhode Island (8-24), batting 2-for-3 with a pair of RBIs. Sonny Ulliana crossed the plate twice for the Rams while batting 1-for-3.
Holy Cross saw 11 different pitchers on the mound in the win. Freshman Andrew Paraiso was credited with the first win of his career after pitching 0.1 innings in relief, while sophomore Zane Hedaya led the team with three strikeouts. Ryan Twitchell took the loss for Rhode Island, allowing five runs on six hits in 3.0 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams got the scoring started in the second inning, adding three runs on two hits with one error to gain control of the lead.
- The Crusaders responded quickly with a run in the bottom of the inning, as Hector singled to bring home Gionis from second after a double with two outs.
- Holy Cross gained the lead in the fourth inning, posting four runs on three hits. Volpi, Gionis, freshman Peter Dudunakis and sophomore Chris Rinaldi each crossed the plate in the inning.
- After the Rams gained a run in the top of the sixth, the Crusaders added three more runs in the bottom of the inning to increase their lead. Masel hit a bases-clearing single to bring home two runs, and later scored off a single from Rinaldi.
- Holy Cross added the final run of the game in the seventh inning, as Hector notched an RBI single to score senior Cam O'Neill.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Saturday, April 14, as the Crusaders play host to Bucknell for a doubleheader at 2:05 p.m.