Holy Cross Drops Two Games To Lehigh On Senior Day
|Left On Base||5||12|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross baseball team (17-25, 11-14) took a pair of losses to Lehigh (22-27, 10-15) on Sunday afternoon on Senior Day. Prior to the start of the first game, Holy Cross honored seniors Austin Cave, Cam O'Neill, Thomas Russo, Michael Spada and Dan Vucovich for their hard work and dedication to the program over the past four years.
The Crusaders took an early lead, but ultimately fell 2-1 to the Mountain Hawks in game one of the doubleheader. Sophomore Chris Rinaldi led the offense, batting 3-for-3 while scoring the lone run for Holy Cross. Russo also had a strong game at the plate, batting 2-for-2. Jeff Shanfeldt hit 3-for-4 in game one for Lehigh, while Ryan Bonshak and Thomas Schumacher each scored a run.
Junior Declan Cronin was credited with the loss, allowing two runs on eight hits in six innings. Levi Stoudt picked up the win for the Mountain Hawks, allowing one run in seven innings while posting seven strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After two scoreless innings, Holy Cross broke the tie in the bottom of the third to take a 1-0 lead. Sophomore Austin Masel hit an RBI double to bring home Rinaldi from first base.
- Lehigh responded with a run in the top of the fourth as Schumacher scored on a double play to tie the game.
- The Mountain Hawks took the 2-1 lead in the sixth, as Matt Hand singled on a bunt to bring home Bonshak. Despite Lehigh having the bases loaded, Cronin forced the final two outs to end the inning.
|Left On Base||6||12|
The Crusaders led by five runs in game two, but Lehigh managed to post eight runs in three innings to pull ahead for the win. Rinaldi had another solid performance in game two, batting 3-for-5 with a run scored and an RBI. Russo hit 2-for-4 and posted three RBIs with one run scored. Freshman Cam Meyer, classmate Peter Dudunakis and Masel also crossed the plate for Holy Cross. Bonshak posted three RBIs and scored two runs for the Mountain Hawks, while Jeff Shanfeldt notched two runs and a pair of RBIs.
Peter Woltersdorf picked up the win, pitching four scoreless innings in relief while notching eight strikeouts. Freshman Kyle Johnson was credited with the loss, allowing four runs in two innings of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders’ offense exploded in the third inning to post five runs on four hits. Rinaldi posted an RBI single on a bunt before Russo drove in three with a bases-clearing triple. O’Neill brought home Russo with a sacrifice fly to cap off the scoring for Holy Cross.
- Lehigh got on the board in the sixth, adding three runs off a pair of RBI base hits and a score off a wild pitch.
- In the seventh, the Mountain Hawks managed to tie the game as Shanfeldt hit a two-run homer over the left field fence to make it a 5-5 game.
- Bonshak put Lehigh ahead for good in the eighth inning, hitting a three-run homer to left field.
- Holy Cross returns to action in the Patriot League Tournament this Saturday, May 12, as the Crusaders travel to top-seeded Navy for a best-of-three series beginning with game one at 12:00 p.m. Game two will follow shortly after on Saturday while game three, if necessary, will be played Sunday, May 13 at 1:00 p.m.