Men's Soccer to Host Turnpike Trophy Battle
Holy Cross (2-3-4, 1-0-1 PL)
vs. Boston University (2-6-2, 1-1 PL)
|Date||Oct. 3, 2018|
|Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium|
|Watch||Patriot League Network|
|Last Meeting||Nov. 10, 2017 | T, 0-0|
|Series History||Holy Cross trails, 2-12-1|
|Follow Us||Twitter | Facebook | Instagram|
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s soccer team will host Boston University for a Turnpike Trophy battle. The Crusaders and Terriers will kick off Wednesday, Oct. 3 at 7:05 p.m. at Linda Johnson Smith Stadium.
The last time the Crusaders and Terriers met was in the 2017 Patriot League semifinal game. The teams played to a 0-0 double overtime tie and Holy Cross advanced to the championship game after defeating Boston University in penalty kicks, 4-1.
Things to Know About Holy Cross (2-3-4, 1-0-1 PL):
- Holy Cross hosts BU while riding a three-game unbeaten streak. In their last three outings, the Crusaders played to a 2-0-1 record.
- Most recently, Holy Cross played at Lafayette to a 1-1 double overtime tie in their sixth double overtime game of the 2018 season.
- Seven Crusaders have tallied at least one goal so far in the 2018 season. Simon Becher leads with three goals and one assist for seven points.
- Max Krause tallied his first two goals of the season at then-No. 16 UMass-Lowell to upset the Riverhawks, 2-1.
- Krause is the third Crusader to receive a weekly honor after being named Patriot League Midfielder of the Week. Bobby Barsic and Simon Becher have also garnered league weekly honors.
- Henry Stutz ranks fourth in the league in save percentage (.780). The senior goalkeeper has posted 46 saves on the season and averages 5.11 saves per game, ranking first in the league in both categories.
Things to Know About Boston University (2-6-2, 1-1 PL):
- The Terriers come to Worcester with a 2-6-2 overall record and 1-1 mark in conference play.
- The team averages 1.30 goals per game and 1.90 goals against per game.
- BU is led by Matt McDonnell, who has played in five games and scored six goals.
- Kari Petursson and Satchel Cortet have tallied the second most points on the team, each with two goals and two assists.
- Two goalkeepers have seen time for the Terriers. Mike Bernardi has played six games to a 1.59 goals against average and a 0.744 save percentage. William Bonnelyche has played four games to a 2.13 goals against average and .526 save percentage.
- Holy Cross and BU will compete in the fourth annual Turnpike Trophy competition during the 2018-19 academic year. The Terriers have claimed the Turnpike Trophy in each of the first three seasons.
- Wednesday’s game marks the second game in the 2018-19 Turnpike Trophy series. BU took the lead in last week’s women’s soccer game.
- In the 2017-18 Turnpike Trophy series, the Crusaders and Terriers split in men’s soccer 1-1.