Women's Tennis Claims Four First Place Finishes at Union Invitational
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s tennis team competed in the two-day Union Invitational Tournament on Saturday and Sunday. The Crusaders came away with six top three finishes at the event, with four of those being first place.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Maddie DeNucci won Flight B singles. She opened with a 6-0, 6-3 victory in her first match and followed it up with a 6-2, 2-6, (10-2) victory to advance to the championship. There she defeated RPI’s Tess Lubin, 6-2, 6-1.
- Also in Flight B, sophomore Katya Martin won her opening match, 3-6, 6-3, (12-10), before falling in her second match. She took third place with an 8-5 win.
- Senior Morgan McGuire won Flight C singles. She started the tournament with a 6-3, 6-7(6), (10-5) victory and followed it up with a 2-6, 7-5, (11-9) win in the second round. She won the championship in straight sets, 7-5, 6-2.
- Senior Jennifer Kary also competed in Flight C. She won her first match 6-1, 6-0, but dropped her second, 4-6, 7-6(6), (5-10). She would claim third place with an 8-2 victory.
- In Flight D singles, senior Caroline Kam took home first place without dropping a set all tournament. She won 6-1, 7-5 in the first round, 6-3, 6-1 in the second, and 6-1, 6-3 in the championship.
- In Flight B doubles, DeNucci and Kary teamed up to take first place. They opened with an 8-0 victory, and followed it up with 8-6 performance in the second round, and an 8-3 win in the championship.
- Four first place finishes was the most out of any school in attendance. No other school claimed more than one flight championship.
The Crusaders will be back in action on Sunday, Sept. 16 when they host Assumption.