Baseball Downed By Marist On The Road Wednesday
|Left On Base||11||11|
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – The Holy Cross baseball team (17-21) fell to Marist (22-16) by a score of 15-3 on Wednesday afternoon on the road.
Freshman Zach Buck led the offense for the Crusaders, batting 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI. Freshman Peter Dudunakis also added a run and an RBI for Holy Cross, batting 0-for-1. Sophomore Chris Rinaldi also scored a run, while classmate Austin Masel notched a pair of hits and an RBI. Senior Michael Spada notched a single in his first career at-bat, leading off in the first inning. Nick Cantone led the offense for the Red Foxes, adding four runs while batting 2-for-3. Frankie Gregoire and Greg Kocinski also scored three runs each for Marist.
Sophomore Ethan Dyer took the loss after allowing five runs on three hits. Will Van Beusekom earned the win for the Red Foxes, pitching two scoreless innings in relief while adding four strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marist was first on the board in the bottom of the first inning, posting two runs off a pair of hits. Kocinski brought home one run with an RBI double before scoring himself on a wild pitch.
- Holy Cross responded in the next frame, as Buck hit an RBI single to bring home Dudunakis.
- In the bottom of the second, the Red Foxes’ offense came alive to post six runs on four hits, giving them an 8-1 advantage.
- The Crusaders added another run in the third, as Dudunakis hit a sacrifice fly to bring home Rinaldi.
- Marist extended its lead over the next few innings, adding three runs in the fourth and two more in the fifth. The Red Foxes then added one run in each the sixth and the eighth to cap off their scoring for the evening at 15 runs.
- Holy Cross added their final run of the game in the ninth, as Masel singled to bring home Buck.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Saturday, May 5, as the Crusaders host Lafayette in a doubleheader beginning at 1:05 p.m.