Men's Hockey Edged By Carleton In Exhibition, 5-4
WORCESTER, Mass. –
Score: Holy Cross 4, Carleton 5 OT (Exhibition)
Location: Worcester, Mass. | Hart Center Rink
Date: Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
The Holy Cross men’s hockey team was edged in overtime by the Carleton University Ravens, 5-4, in an exhibition match-up.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders struck first with a goal from Ryan Ferrill at 4:54 of the first period. As the trailer in an odd man rush, Ferrill collected Brett Mulcahy’s rebound and shot into an open net.
- Carleton scored three quick goals in the second period, starting with a power play goal at 3:51 from Brett Welychka. Welychka tallied the go-ahead at 4:43 and then Wyatt Nosky scored to make it 3-1 at 5:22 of the second.
- Holy Cross countered with two goals of its own in the second period. Frank Boie skated to the near post and powered the puck past the Carleton goaltender to close the gap to 3-2.
- Mulcahy notched his second point of the night, slipping the puck through Carleton’s Francois Brassard’s five-hole at 12:25 of the second period, tying the game.
- Carleton struck once more in the second period to take the lead, once again on the power play.
- Holy Cross’ Jay Mackie evened the game at 4-4, with a short side shot from the left faceoff circle.
- Carleton’s Fabian Walsh scored the game-winner 45 seconds into overtime, banging home a rebound.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross outshot Carleton, 33-20. In the first period, Holy Cross outshot Carleton, 13-3.
- Senior goalie Paul Berrafato made nine saves, while Tommy Nixon made six. Carleton’s Francois Brassard made 29 saves.
- Carleton went 2-7 on the power play and Holy Cross was 0-4.
- Holy Cross won 27 faces and Carleton won 30.
- The Crusaders start the season when they host Mercyhurst for an Atlantic Hockey battle on Oct. 13-14 at 7:05 p.m. at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
- To purchase tickets for the 2017-2018 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross men's hockey team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossMHockey, Facebook and Instagram.