Men's Hockey To Play Carleton In Exhibition
Holy Cross to Play Carleton in Exhibition
The Holy Cross men’s hockey team will start the 2017-18 season with an exhibition match-up at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex in Worcester, Mass.
• Last year, the Crusaders went 14-15-7 overall and 11-10-7 in Atlantic Hockey.
• Holy Cross ranked fourth in Atlantic Hockey in scoring offense, averaging 2.75 goals per game.
• The Crusaders ranked fifth in the league in scoring defense, allowing an average of 2.94 goals per game.
• Holy Cross finished with the league’s sixth best conversion rate on the power play at 17.0%
• The Crusaders were the least penalized team in Atlantic Hockey, with 9.5 penalty minutes per game and held a 76.4% success rate on the penalty kill.
• Twenty-three Crusaders return for the 2017-18 season.
• Danny Lopez led the team in points (17-16-33) and led the league in power play goals with 12.
• Four of the team’s top five points leaders return.
• Paul Berrafato played 2100:32 minutes between the pipes for the Crusaders, holding a .896 save percentage in 2016-17 and enters his senior season.
• Head coach David Berard adds five to the roster for the 2017-18 season - two defensemen and three forwards.
• “The five-player class provides valuable depth and competition at the forward and defense positions and enhances our style of play,” said Berard about the newcomers.
• The Crusaders were picked sixth in the Atlantic Hockey Preseason Coaches poll with 72 points.
• Holy Cross finished the 2016-17 season in fifth place in the league (11-10-7) and with an overall record of 14-15-7. The team finished in fourth among the league in scoring, averaging 2.75 goals per game.
‘Saders in the Summer
• T.J. Moore attended the Boston Bruins development camp as one of the eight players invited who are not in the Bruins’ organization.
• Moore aims to bring his NHL Development Camp experience into the 2017-18 season at Holy Cross.
• Brett Mulcahy continues at the helm of the Crusader leadership, serving as captain for the second consecutive season.
• As a junior, Michael Laffin joins the Crusader leadership as an assistant captain.
Atlantic Hockey Team Sportsmanship Award
• In the 2016-17 season, Holy Cross was the least penalized team in Atlantic Hockey, averaging just 9.5 penalty minutes per game.
• Practicing such discipline throughout the season earned the Crusaders the 2016-17 Atlantic Hockey Team Sportsmanship Award.
• The team’s 9.5 penalty minutes per game were the fourth lowest nationally.
Berrafato In Goal
• Senior goaltender Paul Berrafato enters the 2017-18 season having played 78 games, amassing 4501:21 minutes of play. He has made 1,814 saves and faced 2,002 shots for a career goals against average of .906 and 2.51 goals against average. He claims a .513 winning percentage with an overall record of 33-31-12.
• As a junior, Berrafato played in all 36 games and made 840 saves and posted three shutouts.
The Last Time Against Carleton
• After trailing, 5-2, with 9:11 remaining in the third period, the Crusaders scored five straight goals to defeat the Ravens, 7-5 in the 2016 exhibition game at the New England Sports Center.
• Danny Lopez led the Crusaders’ offense with two goals.
• Berrafato recorded nine saves and Tommy Nixon made three saves.
• Holy Cross outshot Carleton, 38-17.