Men's Hockey Ready for Home-and-Home with Sacred Heart
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders return after the break to take on the Pioneers in a home-and-home series. Holy Cross will play at Sacred Heart on Dec. 29 and at the Hart Center on Dec. 30.
• Scott Pooley scored his 14th goal of the season to continue to lead the Crusaders.
• Pooley ranks fourth in goals per game in the nation, and first in Atlantic Hockey in goals.
• The Holy Cross offense is spread out, as 10 players have lit the lamp more than once this season.
• Four Crusaders are tied for the third most points on the team (10): Danny Lopez, Mitch Collett, Michael Laffin and Johnny Coughlin.
• With three shutouts, Paul Berrafato has recorded the third most in the nation.
• Johnny Coughlin leads the team in blocked shots, with 34.
• The Crusaders own the second lowest goals against average in Atlantic Hockey (2.72).
• Paul Berrafato owns a .924 save percentage, which ranks first in the league.
• Berrafato’s performance through November earned him Atlantic Hockey Goalie of the Month accolades (Dec. 6).
• The Crusaders boast a 4-1-4 record at the Hart Center; Holy Cross owns an unbeaten record at home in league play at 3-0-3.
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .924 save percentage leads Atlantic Hockey while his 2.44 goals against average ranks second.
• His 548 saves marks the second most made by any goalie in the league.
• Berrafato has posted shutouts over Bentley, Air Force, and Army.
• With three shutouts, Berrafato owns the third most shutouts in the nation this season.
• With nine career shutouts, Paul Berrafato captured the all-time shutouts record at Holy Cross. Matt Ginn (2011-15) previously held the record with eight shutouts.
• In his career, Berrafato has played 96 games and 84 consecutive starts. Of the active goaltenders in the NCAA, Berrafato ranks second with the most consecutive starts.
• The senior netminder also ranks in the top four goaltenders for the biggest save percentage improvement since the 2016-17 season (+.30) as of Nov. 30.
• Nationally, Scott Pooley ranks fourth in goals/per game (0.76). Pooley’s 14 goals is third the most goals scored in the nation.
• On the power play, Pooley has recorded five goals, which ranks him tied for ninth nationally.
• In Atlantic Hockey, the senior forward leads the league in scoring power play goals.
• Pooley is tied for ninth overall in Atlantic Hockey points, averaging 0.76 points per game.
• On Nov. 11, Pooley recorded his third multi-goal game and fourth multi-point game of the season.
• The senior forward leads the Crusaders in points (14-4-18).
• Senior captain Brett Mulcahy posted consecutive assists in the Arizona State series (Nov. 24-25) followed by a game-winning goal effort on Dec. 1 at RIT.
• His three game-winning tallies of the season ranks second in the league.
• In his 13 games played this season, Mulcahy has tallied four goals and two assists for six points.
• The senior forward has recorded six points in his last eight games (5-1-6). He has scored three goals in the Crusaders’ last four games, including a power play tally.
• Lopez has recorded two points on the power play with one goal and one assist.
Scouting The Pioneers
• The Pioneers open the weekend with a 4-11-2 record and 2-7-2 mark in conference play.
• Sacred Heart owns wins over Mercyhurst and Canisius in the league and Notre Dame and UConn out of conference.
• Sacred Heart averages 2.76 goals per game and 3.94 goals allowed per game.
• On the power play, the Pioneers hold a 11.3% conversion rate.
• With a 82.1% success rate on the penalty kill, the Pioneers have allowed 14 power play goals across 78 oppounities.
• In their last three games, Sacred Heart has played to a 1-0-2 record, most recently falling to Yale on Dec. 9.
• At home, Sacred Heart is 1-4-2 against Atlantic Hockey opponents. On the road in league play, the Pioneers are 1-3-0.
Pioneers to Watch
• Freshman Mac Johnstone leads the team in points, with 15 on six goals and nine assists. Sophomores Vita Bavaro leads in goals, with nine, and Ruslan Rakhmatov leads in assists, with 10.
• On the power play, Jason Cotton has stuck three times as a team best.
• In net, Brett Magnus has played 12 of the Pioneers 17 games, starting in 11. Magnus holds an .891 save percentage and 3.75 goals against average across 640:34 minutes of play.
Holy Cross and Atlantic Hockey
• The Crusaders’ 2.72 goals against ranks second in the league.
• Holy Cross leads the league in the faceoff circle, winning 53% (623/1170).
• At 82.4%, Holy Cross’ penalty kill ranks fourth in the league.
• Johnny Coughlin ranks third among the league in blocked shots (33) and is tied for eighth in defensemen scoring.
The Last Game Out: At Union
Holy Cross Goals: Trapp, Pooley
Union Goalie: Darion Hanson (19 saves)
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (36 saves)
Power Play: 0-3
Notes: Spencer Trapp scored and Scott Pooley scored his team-best 14th goal.
• Holy Cross will return with a home-and-home series with American International College. The Crusaders will travel to Springfield on Jan. 5 and host the Yellow Jackets on Jan. 6 at 7:05 p.m.