Violette and Reilly Lead Women's Hockey Past Franklin Pierce
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's hockey team defeated the Franklin Pierce Ravens, 5-1, on Friday, Feb. 9. Senior Kara Violette and junior Maeve Reilly led the Crusaders with three points each on the night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
2-1 FP (2nd, 1:30, EV): Franklin Pierce’s Marissa Massaro scored right out of the intermission to bring the Crusaders’ lead by to one.
3-1 HC (2nd, 2:49, EV): Reilly answered back a minute later with a fake past the Raven’s goalie to secure her seventh goal of the season. Violette and junior Julie Matthias had the assists.
4-1 HC (2nd, 12:17, EV): Violette tipped in Messina’s slap shot to take the Crusaders’ lead to 4-1.
5-1 HC (3rd, 17:45, EV): With just over two minutes left to play, Violette scored off of a sharp pass from Reilly.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Violette recorded her 12th and 13th goals of the season and tallied her 20th helper to give her three points against the Ravens. She leads the team with 33 points on the season.
- Reilly notched her seventh goal of the season and recorded two assists.
- Matthias added two assists and now has 13 helpers on the season.
- Messina recorded a goal and an assist for her second straight multi-point game.
- Peluso has scored a goal in three straight games. The freshman has six on the season.
- Sophomore Marcia LaPlante recorded 20 saves and improves to 4-0-0.
The Crusaders will hit the road to Winchendon, Mass. to play the second game in the series against Franklin Pierce on Feb. 10 at 4 p.m.