Crusaders Edged By Bucknell In Overtime
WORCESTER, Mass. – Junior forward Jehyve Floyd posted his first career double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds, but the Holy Cross men’s basketball team was defeated by Bucknell 68-67 in overtime at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. The Crusaders fall to 10-17 on the season and 7-9 in the Patriot League with the loss, while the Bison improve to 20-9 overall and 14-2 in the conference.
Holy Cross hit 40.7 percent of its field goal attempts, 23.1 percent of its three-pointers and 58.8 percent of its free throws on the day. Bucknell was able to connect on 38.9 percent of its shots from the floor, 21.7 percent from beyond the arc and 72.4 percent at the foul line.
Freshman guard Austin Butler finished the game with 17 points and a career-best nine rebounds. Freshman forward Jacob Grandison added 11 points, eight rebounds and four assists, while junior guard Patrick Benzan chipped in with 10 points, four rebounds and two steals. The Bison were led by Nana Foulland with 21 points and nine rebounds.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Floyd was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- In addition to his 18 points and 11 rebounds, he posted four blocks and two assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders played well from the opening tip, jumping out to a 15-9 lead after the first eight minutes of play.
- Bucknell responded with a 14-3 run to pull in front, and was later up 28-24 with 3:18 left before the break.
- Holy Cross then closed out the half with a 9-4 spurt to claim a 33-32 advantage heading into the locker room.
- The Bison opened the second half with a 14-4 run to go up by nine (46-37), and still led by seven (62-55) with seven minutes left in regulation.
- The Crusaders then used a 10-2 spurt to pull back in front (65-64), before the game went to overtime tied at 66-66.
- Both teams struggled to score in the extra session, with Bucknell claiming a 68-66 lead on a pair of free throws by Zach Thomas with 3:24 remaining.
- Butler would make one of two free throws with 3:06 left to trim the margin to one point, but neither team would score again as the Bison held on for the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross finished with 38 rebounds, its most in a single game this season.
- Bucknell has won four straight and eight of the last nine games in the series.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 21, when it plays its final home game of the regular season against American at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.