Crusaders Outlast Army West Point In Overtime, 70-62
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Sophomore Lauren Manis led the Crusaders with 21 points, shooting 8-for-8 from the free throw line, as the Holy Cross women’s basketball team defeated Army West Point 70-62 in overtime Wednesday.
Manis notched 21 points to lead the Crusaders (9-9, 4-3) and added eight rebounds with three assists and two steals. Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed also had a strong game for Holy Cross, finishing with 17 points and six rebounds. Sophomore Megan Swords added five points while leading the Crusaders with 10 rebounds. Army West Point (9-9, 2-5) was led by Madison Hovren, who earned a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds. Margaret Hubbell tallied 14 points for the Black Knights and added five rebounds.
Holy Cross shot 39.0% (23-59) from the field, while Army West Point hit 35.1% (20-57) of their shots. The Crusaders hit 46.7% (7-15) from behind the arc, and held the Black Knights to 27.3% (3-11) from three-point range. From the charity stripe, Holy Cross hit 77.3% (17-22) of its attempts, while Army West Point notched 65.5% (19-29).
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Manis was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She led Holy Cross with 21 points while tallying eight rebounds, three assists and two steals. The sophomore also shot 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross notched the first eight points of the game and held the lead throughout the first quarter, entering the second with a 16-13 advantage.
- The Crusaders led by eight points early in the second quarter, but Army West Point put together a 15-2 run to surge into the lead. The Black Knight took a 28-23 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
- Army led by as many as nine points in the third quarter, and maintained its lead before carrying a 38-33 lead into the fourth.
- Holy Cross regained the lead late in the fourth quarter, and led by two points with 50 seconds left to play in regulation. Janae McNeal scored a layup to tie the game with 36 seconds to play and send the game into overtime.
- The Crusaders outscored Army West Point 18-10 in the overtime period, as the team hit 13 of 18 free throw attempts during the quarter and added a pair of field goals to seal the victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This was the first time Holy Cross defeated Army West Point since Feb. 12, 2014, when the Crusaders defeated the Black Knights 92-85.
- Swords earned a new career-high with 10 rebounds.
- Manis notched 20 or more points for the sixth time this season.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Saturday, Jan. 20, as the Crusaders play host to Bucknell at 1:05 p.m.