Women's Basketball Set To Host Lafayette In Patriot League Tournament First Round
Holy Cross Athletics 03-03-2017
SETTING THE STAGE
- The Holy Cross women’s basketball team begins Patriot League Tournament play on Saturday, as the Crusaders play host to Lafayette at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex at 1:05 p.m.
- Saturday’s game will be broadcast on the Patriot League Network via PatriotLeague.TV, and can also be heard on Emmanuel Radio (1230 AM) with Bob Fouracre on play-by-play.
- This will be the 66th all-time meeting between the Crusaders and the Leopards, with Holy Cross holding the series edge at 56-9.
- In games played in Worcester, Holy Cross leads the series at 27-3
- In the last meeting, Lafayette earned an 85-70 victory over the Crusaders in Worcester on Feb. 8 earlier this season.
- Holy Cross won the first-ever meeting between the two programs on Dec. 6, 1986 by a score of 73-67 in Kingston, R.I.
LAST TIME OUT
- Freshman forward Lauren Manis led Holy Cross with eight points while tallying five rebounds.
- Junior guard Tricia Byrne tied for the team lead with seven rebounds while posting seven points and three assists.
- Loyola got off to a strong start, outscoring the Crusaders 10-3 in the first quarter of play.
- The Crusaders got within five points in the second quarter, but trailed the Greyhounds 25-15 as the teams went to their locker rooms at halftime.
- The Greyhounds led by as many as 21 points in the third quarter, but the Crusaders managed to cut the deficit to 13 before heading into the fourth.
- Loyola maintained its advantage throughout the fourth quarter while outscoring Holy Cross 15-9 in the final frame.
- Holy Cross was picked to finish fourth in the 2016-2017 Patriot League preseason poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
- The Crusaders finished the regular season at 8-21 with a 6-12 mark in Patriot League play. They will serve as the No. 7 seed for the Patriot League Tournament.
- Freshman forward Lauren Manis was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Year, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches.
- She has led Holy Cross in rebounding 14 times this season, and ranks fourth in the Patriot League with 7.4 rebounds per game.
- Manis notched her seventh double-double of the season at American, notching 19 points with a career-high 14 rebounds.
- She notched a new career-high with 25 points against Navy on Jan. 28 to earn her Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors for the third time this season.
- Junior guard Infiniti Thomas-Waheed has scored in double figures in 18 games this season, while leading the Crusaders in scoring 12 times.
- Freshman guard Madalyn Smith notched a new career-high with 16 points against American.
- Junior guard Tricia Byrne registered new career-highs with 18 points and nine assists against Lafayette.
SCOUTING REPORT ON LAFAYETTE
- Lafayette is coming off a 61-78 loss to Bucknell on Wednesday in Lewisburg, Pa.
- The Leopards enter Saturdays game with a 3-27 overall record and a 2-16 mark in Patriot League play.
- Olivia Gumbs leads the Leopards in scoring with 10.4 points per game.
- Gumbs is also the leading rebounder for Lafayette with an average of 6.8 boards per game.
- Head coach Theresa Grentz is currently in her second season with Lafayette.
- The Leopards went 6-23 overall last season with a 4-14 record in the Patriot League. They were eliminated by Colgate in the first round of the conference playoffs by a score of 80-68.
- The winner of Saturday’s first round game will head to Annapolis, Md. on Monday, March 6 to face second-seeded Navy at 7:05 p.m.
- The game will be broadcast online via the Patriot League Network at PatriotLeague.TV.
GET YOUR TICKETS NOW
- Tickets to see the Holy Cross women's basketball team face Lafayette in the Patriot League Tournament are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/ticketsor over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Women's Basketball
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part III
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part II
2019 Holy Cross Football Season Preview: Part I