Lynskey Sends Holy Cross Past Harvard in Double Overtime, 10-9
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team defeated Harvard in double overtime, 10-9, to claim the program’s first victory over the Crimson.
The Crusaders (1-2, 0-0 Patriot League) took a 3-1 lead in the opening quarter, but the Crimson (1-1, 0-0 Ivy League) battled back through the second and third quarters to take as large as a three goal lead (8-5).
Holy Cross narrowed Harvard’s lead to 8-6 to enter the final 15 minutes of regulation. At the start of the third, the Crusaders rattled off four consecutive goals to take a 9-8 lead with 3:47 remaining. Harvard evened things up with a little over a minute remaining to push the game into overtime.
Despite Holy Cross winning the opening faceoff in overtime, Harvard possessed on offense for much of the first overtime. The Crusader defense held off the Crimson and forced the game into a second overtime. Less than a minute into the second extra time period, Justin Lynskey fired off the game-winner and Holy Cross captured its first ever program win over Harvard.
Quarter 1 | HC 3 Harvard 1
- Justin Lynskey opened the scoring at 9:56.
- At 5:32, Drew Babiak scored his first goal of the game, assisted by Logan LeBlond.
- Harvard got on the board with a goal from Ryan Graff at 5:23.
- Kevin Kodzis posted his first goal of the season with under a minute to play in the first quarter.
Quarter 2 | HC 3 Harvard 5
- Harvard held the Crusaders off the board and tallied four goals of their own from four different players.
Quarter 3 | HC 6 Harvard 8
- The Crusaders grabbed some momentum when Babiak scored his second of the day 28 seconds into the half to put the Crusaders back within one goal, 5-4.
- Harvard took the two goal lead back when Tim Edmonds scored at 12:44.
- Babiak completed his hat trick when he finished on a behind-the-back shot to keep the Crusaders within striking distance at 11:43.
- Harvard extended the lead once again with goals from Charlie Olmert and Kyle Anderson (8-5).
- The Crusaders ended the quarter on a high note with Lynskey scoring his second of the day with 3:08 left on the clock.
Quarter 4 | HC 9 Harvard 9
- Babiak tallied back-to-back goals to open the fourth quarter (8-8).
- Combined with the Crusader defense, Holy Cross tied up the game and allowed just one Crimson goal in the fourth quarter.
Overtime | HC 10 Harvard 9
- Forty-eight seconds into the second overtime period, Lynskey completed his hat trick and tallied the game-winner for Holy Cross, 10-9.
- Drew Babiak scored five goals.
- Justin Lynskey recorded a hat-trick.
- Kevin Kodzis recored two goals and two assists.
- Logan LeBlond posted two assists.
- Jonathan Tesoro made 14 saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Harvard, 45-42.
- The Crusaders held the advantage on ground balls, 17-13.
- The Crusaders recorded 11 turnovers, while the Crimson had 15.
Holy Cross will start Patriot League play with a road game at Lehigh on Feb. 25 at 1:00 p.m.